Username:

Password:

Fargot Password? / Help

Author: Michael Zand

0

New UFC contracts will ban fighters from many dangerous activities

After a motorcycle accident led to Jose Aldo missing what would have been the biggest featherweight fight in two years, UFC is attempting to contractually clamp down on a number of activites.

When featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Kyle Kingsbury were both injured riding motorcycles last month, the UFC found itself with yet another type of injury problem.

Injuries in training - a necessary and to an extent, unavoidable evil - have plagued the company the past two years in particular. But injuries from activities not even related to the competing and training in UFC just compounds that problem. While Kingsbury was scraped up, he didn't pull out of the Sept. 29 UFC on Fuel show, where he lost to Jimi Manuwa.

Aldo also didn't pull out at first, but after an infection in his leg stemming from the accident made it impossible to train, he pulled out of UFC 153, the show scheduled for this coming Saturday night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Aldo's fight with Frankie Edgar was scheduled to headline and would have been the division's biggest fight in more than two years.

This past week, word got out that UFC is at least trying to rid itself as much as possible of non-sport related injuries. Like the NFL and a lot of other professional sports, new contracts are going to contain clauses that restrict fighters from participating in what is deemed dangerous activities.

The existence of the clause first came out from a video interview that Donald Cerrone did with Tracy Lee. Dana White has since confirmed the story as accurate to MMAfighting.com via text message.

The exact contract wording and full restrictions are unknown. These would be in all new contracts. Fighters with existing contracts would not have the clause put in place until it's time to negotiate a new deal. 

All fighters, however, are going to be soon aware the company is frowning on activities such as motorcycle riding, which is also banned in standard NFL and NBA contracts. 

"They say you can't snowboard, wakeboard, bungee jump, all kinds of ridiculous things," said Cerrone in the interview, where he talked about a new goal of becoming a professional wakeboarder. "Horseback riding, yeah, which, I own horses and I will not not ride them. So I guess I just have to sit down with Dana and figure this out. But that's who I am, you know. I'm just wild and crazy and I need these things. I can't get painted into a corner is what I'm saying. So I gotta figure it out."

Flattr this!

0

A 62-year-old fighter KOs his opponent with a spinning backfist

Flattr this!

0

JEREMY STEPHENS’ MANAGEMENT RELEASES STATEMENT REGARDING FIGHTER’S PRE-UFC ON FX 5 ARREST

It has been a difficult few days, to say the least, for UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens.

Hours before he was scheduled to square off with Yves Edwards at UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis on Friday, Stephens was arrested in connection to a 2011 assault charge in Des Moines, Iowa. UFC President Dana White spent most of the day attempting to negotiate Stephen’s release so that he could face Edwards, but he was unable to reach an agreement with authorities in Iowa, so the fighter remained at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility in downtown Minneapolis as the event concluded.

“I was willing to have two armed police officers bring him from jail, come fight tonight and bring him back to jail,” White said at Friday’s post-fight press conference.

While many of the details regarding the charges Stephens faces remain unclear, the 26-year-old’s management team, Evolution Agents, on Monday released a statement supporting its client.

“In 2011, Jeremy was attending a homecoming party in Des Moines, Iowa. A person in attendance became intoxicated and disorderly, and was asked to leave by the owner of the establishment,” the statement read. “The intoxicated individual subsequently became involved in a physical altercation with another person at the event. We have learned that, as the featured guest at the party, Jeremy's name came up during the police investigation of the assault.

“Prior to being detained the morning of October 5, 2012, in Minneapolis, Jeremy had never been arrested in connection with the assault, contacted about any possible charge and/or notified about any outstanding warrant by mail or any other means,” the statement continued. “Jeremy has lived at the same residence in San Diego and has maintained the same phone number for the past year or more. Jeremy also uses social media to provide updates on his training, and to thank fans, supporters, sponsors, and the UFC. In short, Jeremy is not a hard guy to find, which can be seen at www.LilHeathenMMA.com.”

Following UFC on FX 5, White claimed that Iowa law enforcement officials purposely waited until Friday to have Stephens arrested even though “Lil Heathen” had already been in Minnesota for most of the week. In Monday’s statement, Stephens’ team echoed that same sentiment.

“At this time, we do not know why Polk County [Iowa] authorities waited to have a warrant served on Jeremy until the morning of his fight. He arrived in Minnesota four days earlier, stayed at the hotel with other fighters for the event, and attended the public weigh-in on Thursday afternoon,” the statement read. “Because he was arrested so close to the time of the fight, arrangements for his release could not be made in time for him to compete despite the diligent efforts of the UFC. Minnesota state officials were great to deal with, but Polk County kept changing the deal making it impossible to get Jeremy released.”

A native of Iowa, Stephens now resides in San Diego, Calif., where he trains at Alliance MMA. He first appeared in the Octagon at UFC 71 in 2007, and has fashioned a 7-7 record during his tenure with the promotion. He last competed at UFC on Fuel TV 3 in May, dropping a unanimous decision to Donald Cerrone. According the Hennepin County records, Stephens remains in custody without bail.

“It will take some time for this unfortunate situation to be resolved. We ask that everyone be patient and wait for the truth to come out. We also would like to thank Jeremy’s fans who are standing by him during this tough time and especially Dana White and the staff at UFC for their incredible display of support for Jeremy throughout the ordeal,” the statement concluded. “There is nothing to hide, so we will keep everyone updated as things progress.”

Flattr this!

1

Rumor: Strikeforce MMA promotion shutting doors

Sources close to PersianMMA informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business.

The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury.

The middleweight title fight was the second key loss to a scheduled November 3rd card, following the loss of a heavyweight main event bout between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier.

Stay tuned for further updates

Flattr this!

0

UFC: Browne vs Bigfoot Post-Event Press Conference

Flattr this!

0

UFC 153 Results

Results

Main Card (PPV)
Weight Class Method Round Time Notes
Light Heavyweight Brazil Anderson Silva def. United States Stephan Bonnar TKO (knee to the chest & punches) 1 4:40
Heavyweight Brazil Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira def. United States Dave Herman Submission (armbar) 2 4:31
Light Heavyweight Brazil Glover Teixeira def. Brazil Fabio Maldonado TKO (doctor stoppage) 2 5:00
Welterweight United States Jon Fitch def. Brazil Erick Silva Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Light Heavyweight United States Phil Davis def. Brazil Wagner Prado Submission (anaconda choke) 2 4:29
Welterweight Brazil Demian Maia def. United States Rick Story Submission (rear-naked choke) 1 2:30
Preliminary Card (FX)
Featherweight Brazil Rony Mariano Bezerra def. United States Sam Sicilia TKO (punches) 2 4:16
Lightweight Brazil Gleison Tibau def. Brazil Francisco Trinaldo Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Featherweight Brazil Diego Brandao def. United States Joey Gambino Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) 3 5:00
Welterweight Brazil Sergio Moraes def. Brazil Renee Forte Submission (rear-naked choke) 3 3:10
Preliminary Card (Facebook)
Middleweight United States Chris Camozzi def. Brazil Luiz Cané Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Lightweight Brazil Cristiano Marcello def. Sweden Reza Madadi Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 30-27) 3 5:00

Flattr this!

0

UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot Result

Official fight card

Main Card (FX)
Weight Class Winner Loser Method Round Time
Heavyweight Brazil Antonio Silva def. United States Travis Browne TKO (punches) 1 3:27
Welterweight United States Jake Ellenberger def. United States Jay Hieron Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Flyweight United States John Dodson def Brazil Jussier Formiga TKO (punches) 2 4:35
Welterweight United States Justin Edwards def. United States Josh Neer Technical Submission (guillotine choke) 1 0:45
Preliminary Card (Fuel TV)
Lightweight United States Michael Johnson def. United States Danny Castillo KO (punches) 2 1:06
Welterweight United States Mike Pierce def. United States Aaron Simpson KO (punches) 2 0:29
Lightweight United States Marcus LeVesseur def. Brazil Carlo Prater Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28) 3 5:00
Lightweight United States Jacob Volkmann def. United States Shane Roller Submission (rear naked choke) 1 2:38
Featherweight Brazil Diego Nunes def. Poland Bart Palaszewski Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 30-27) 3 5:00
Flyweight United States Darren Uyenoyama def. England Phil Harris Submission (rear naked choke) 2 3:38

Flattr this!

0

Video: Nate Diaz vs. Renato Laranja at World Jiu-Jitsu Expo

Flattr this!

0

Nick Diaz ready to fight GSP tomorrow if asked

Nick Diaz seems still bitter about the decision not going his way against Carlos Condit, but spoke little about his suspension while younger brother Nate gears up for his title shot at Benson Henderson.

 

It was a subdued Nick Diaz on Thursday night, making a rare between fights media appearance, with his brother Nate, on Spike TV's MMA Uncensored show on Thursday night.

Nick Diaz always seems to start out uncomfortable around strangers, as well as the media. But his usual m.o. in an interview is to start talking about a subject, whether it be fighting, nutrition, training, growing up, and well, then it's this wild stream of consciousness that it appears he, and nobody else, knows where it's going to end up. But he never really opened up or said anything past the obvious, such as if he wasn't suspended and they asked him to fight Georges St-Pierre tomorrow, he'd be up for it.

He brought up, when somewhat led in that direction, that he'd make a better opponent for Anderson Silva than Stephan Bonnar. Given that Silva was only willing to fight at light heavyweight because of the short notice aspect, and Diaz is a natural welterweight, and Diaz is under suspension until February, it's all a moot point to begin with. It's not as if UFC had a choice for Silva's opponent between Bonnar and Diaz and then chose Bonnar.

"They said in what world does it make sense," in referring to Dana White's reaction when Diaz's camp tried to push the idea of a Silva vs. Nick Diaz fight at one point. "Me or Stephan Bonnar, it would have been a big laughing matter or a joke, but that's what's happening now. I think if I was Anderson Silva and I'm on my way out of this and I'm 37, I'm looking to do a few more fights like that, I want to fulfill my legacy and I'm not going to be able to do it with Stephan Bonnar."

Nick Diaz (26-8, 1 no contest) is currently under a suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a marijuana positive. The test took place a few hours after his Feb. 4 decision loss to Carlos Condit.(28-5) in a match for the interim welterweight title and a guaranteed bout with St-Pierre. Diaz, who was the aggressor in the fight, lost a hotly debated close decision that could be reasonably argued either way. It's clear he's still troubled by what happened.

"It gets pretty confusing," he said. "I've learned from my mistakes in the past, why I thought I've lost fights before. I've come back, not so much made improvements in my fighting style, but made improvements in what I have to do to win. Sometimes, I do the opposite of what I did last time and I still come up short. It's hard. It's not like they're telling you what you need to do to win the fight other than finish the fight."

But even had he won, the positive test would have caused his win to be overturned and him to be stripped of the title, and he'd have lost his big money opportunity at St-Pierre. He was suspended for one year, since it was the second time in Nevada that he had failed for marijuana. One of the many reasons the penalty was so harsh was that after the first time in 2007, in what was the biggest win of his career up to that point in time against Takanori Gomi in an all-time classic fight, he had promised the commission he would never use the drug again. At his hearing earlier this year, when asked about how long he lived up to that statement, he said it was likely as long as it took him to get back home.

Nick Diaz has since filed suit against the commission, trying to use the argument that marijuana is only banned in competition, and even though he failed a test taken the night of the fight, it was eight days prior that he had last used it. Thus the argument is that the drug was not active at the time of the fight, and thus had no affect on the competition.

He was thrown a softball by host Craig Carton who asked about if marijuana was a performance enhancer, trying to argue that the commission shouldn't be concerned about marijuana when so many fighters either are using steroids or on testosterone replacement therapy. But Nick Diaz answered that he believed it was a performance enhancer, crossing up the argument.

"Well, I think if somebody can use it to help them medicinally, it's going to be performance enhancing regardless," he said.

But he did note it's not exactly in the league with steroids.

"Your random guy trying this marijuana, to go smoke it and then go fight, I don't think it's a good idea."

Regarding the lawsuit, Diaz had nothing really to say, almost as if he is letting it play out while he himself is just concentrating on improving his fighting game.

"I'm not really focused on that," he said about the suit. "I'm trying to live life like a normal person."

 

But he did say that after fighting every few months since he was a teenager, that he was going crazy with his long break.

Nate Diaz (17-6), the younger brother who idolized and followed in Nick's path as long as anyone can remember, may beat his brother to a UFC championship. He's gearing up for the biggest fight of his career, a Dec. 8 title match in Seattle against UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson (17-2). The fight headlines the next UFC event on Fox, and is only the second UFC championship bout ever on network television.

"Ben Henderson is a good opponent, he's had some good fights," said Nate Diaz. "I'm pretty pumped about finally fighting for the title. I'm looking forward to my brother having my back. I just got out of a boxing camp, the boxing never really stopped."

Nate Diaz noted that he has been studying tapes of Henderson's MMA fights, as well as his Jiu Jitsu competitions, and seen plenty of evidence of Henderson's strengths in getting out of just about every submission attempted on him.

"Yeah, I've seen him in Jiu Jitsu tournaments," said Nate Diaz. "He's really good. I've seen him in gi competition. He gets out of stuff, dominates people, he's a real athletic guy. He's definitely the champion for a reason."

Nate Diaz's boxing style, largely peppering his opponent with a constant never ending barrage of punches, like his brother, looks to be the key in this fight, like it was in his recent win over Donald Cerrone.

"I've got a really good boxing coach, Richard Perez, he's trained Tony Dominguez, Rodney Jones and my brother Nick. He's the best boxing coach there is in boxing, but he's in the MMA mix right now. Besides him, I've got Cesar Gracie, Jake Shields, Gil (Melendez), Nick, the team and we've got good kickboxers coming in."

 

Source: MMAfighting

Flattr this!

0

UFC: Browne vs Bigfoot Weigh-Ins

Flattr this!