Username:

Password:

Fargot Password? / Help

Author: Michael Zand

0

Brett Rogers fought Alexander Volkov with one very broken arm

Brett Rogers lost to Alexander Volkov in the Bellator heavyweight tournament this weekend. Losing to Fedor Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, and Josh Barnett is understandable, but losing a unanimous decision to the unheralded Volkov left many fans ready to stick a fork in him.

However, it turns out that Rogers broke his arm in the first two minutes of the fight. In an interview with Rachel Mondeau, Rogers explans.

"I was really unsure of what happened to my arm," said Rogers. "I didn’t really know until about the third round that it was broken. I’ve never broke anything on my body before, so I just kept I kept going. I thought I needed to keep fighting. By the time I found out that it was, I just felt that I needed to keep going and hopefully catch him with something—catch him with that left.

"I’ve never broken anything. It was a surreal moment for me. I was like fuck — something ain't right. I need to keep going with this and hope for the best. Volkov definitely realized by the third round that something wasn’t right, so he was trying to test me out from top to bottom. By the time we found it, it was just a little too late.

"I did my part as far as surviving and making to it to the decision. That still is not a fight that I ever want to fight. I never want to have that type of fight again. Ever."

Flattr this!

0

Brittney Palmer Playboy Preview

Flattr this!

0

UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar Extended Preview

Flattr this!

0

UFC 155 Dos Santos vs. Velasquez 2 Promo

Flattr this!

0

UFC 153: Anderson Silva vs Stephan Bonnar

Flattr this!

0

Bigfoot Silva: "I Want A Re-Match With Cain Velasquez"

Flattr this!

0

New UFC contracts will ban fighters from many dangerous activities

After a motorcycle accident led to Jose Aldo missing what would have been the biggest featherweight fight in two years, UFC is attempting to contractually clamp down on a number of activites.

When featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Kyle Kingsbury were both injured riding motorcycles last month, the UFC found itself with yet another type of injury problem.

Injuries in training - a necessary and to an extent, unavoidable evil - have plagued the company the past two years in particular. But injuries from activities not even related to the competing and training in UFC just compounds that problem. While Kingsbury was scraped up, he didn't pull out of the Sept. 29 UFC on Fuel show, where he lost to Jimi Manuwa.

Aldo also didn't pull out at first, but after an infection in his leg stemming from the accident made it impossible to train, he pulled out of UFC 153, the show scheduled for this coming Saturday night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Aldo's fight with Frankie Edgar was scheduled to headline and would have been the division's biggest fight in more than two years.

This past week, word got out that UFC is at least trying to rid itself as much as possible of non-sport related injuries. Like the NFL and a lot of other professional sports, new contracts are going to contain clauses that restrict fighters from participating in what is deemed dangerous activities.

The existence of the clause first came out from a video interview that Donald Cerrone did with Tracy Lee. Dana White has since confirmed the story as accurate to MMAfighting.com via text message.

The exact contract wording and full restrictions are unknown. These would be in all new contracts. Fighters with existing contracts would not have the clause put in place until it's time to negotiate a new deal. 

All fighters, however, are going to be soon aware the company is frowning on activities such as motorcycle riding, which is also banned in standard NFL and NBA contracts. 

"They say you can't snowboard, wakeboard, bungee jump, all kinds of ridiculous things," said Cerrone in the interview, where he talked about a new goal of becoming a professional wakeboarder. "Horseback riding, yeah, which, I own horses and I will not not ride them. So I guess I just have to sit down with Dana and figure this out. But that's who I am, you know. I'm just wild and crazy and I need these things. I can't get painted into a corner is what I'm saying. So I gotta figure it out."

Flattr this!

0

A 62-year-old fighter KOs his opponent with a spinning backfist

Flattr this!

0

JEREMY STEPHENS’ MANAGEMENT RELEASES STATEMENT REGARDING FIGHTER’S PRE-UFC ON FX 5 ARREST

It has been a difficult few days, to say the least, for UFC lightweight Jeremy Stephens.

Hours before he was scheduled to square off with Yves Edwards at UFC on FX 5 in Minneapolis on Friday, Stephens was arrested in connection to a 2011 assault charge in Des Moines, Iowa. UFC President Dana White spent most of the day attempting to negotiate Stephen’s release so that he could face Edwards, but he was unable to reach an agreement with authorities in Iowa, so the fighter remained at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility in downtown Minneapolis as the event concluded.

“I was willing to have two armed police officers bring him from jail, come fight tonight and bring him back to jail,” White said at Friday’s post-fight press conference.

While many of the details regarding the charges Stephens faces remain unclear, the 26-year-old’s management team, Evolution Agents, on Monday released a statement supporting its client.

“In 2011, Jeremy was attending a homecoming party in Des Moines, Iowa. A person in attendance became intoxicated and disorderly, and was asked to leave by the owner of the establishment,” the statement read. “The intoxicated individual subsequently became involved in a physical altercation with another person at the event. We have learned that, as the featured guest at the party, Jeremy's name came up during the police investigation of the assault.

“Prior to being detained the morning of October 5, 2012, in Minneapolis, Jeremy had never been arrested in connection with the assault, contacted about any possible charge and/or notified about any outstanding warrant by mail or any other means,” the statement continued. “Jeremy has lived at the same residence in San Diego and has maintained the same phone number for the past year or more. Jeremy also uses social media to provide updates on his training, and to thank fans, supporters, sponsors, and the UFC. In short, Jeremy is not a hard guy to find, which can be seen at www.LilHeathenMMA.com.”

Following UFC on FX 5, White claimed that Iowa law enforcement officials purposely waited until Friday to have Stephens arrested even though “Lil Heathen” had already been in Minnesota for most of the week. In Monday’s statement, Stephens’ team echoed that same sentiment.

“At this time, we do not know why Polk County [Iowa] authorities waited to have a warrant served on Jeremy until the morning of his fight. He arrived in Minnesota four days earlier, stayed at the hotel with other fighters for the event, and attended the public weigh-in on Thursday afternoon,” the statement read. “Because he was arrested so close to the time of the fight, arrangements for his release could not be made in time for him to compete despite the diligent efforts of the UFC. Minnesota state officials were great to deal with, but Polk County kept changing the deal making it impossible to get Jeremy released.”

A native of Iowa, Stephens now resides in San Diego, Calif., where he trains at Alliance MMA. He first appeared in the Octagon at UFC 71 in 2007, and has fashioned a 7-7 record during his tenure with the promotion. He last competed at UFC on Fuel TV 3 in May, dropping a unanimous decision to Donald Cerrone. According the Hennepin County records, Stephens remains in custody without bail.

“It will take some time for this unfortunate situation to be resolved. We ask that everyone be patient and wait for the truth to come out. We also would like to thank Jeremy’s fans who are standing by him during this tough time and especially Dana White and the staff at UFC for their incredible display of support for Jeremy throughout the ordeal,” the statement concluded. “There is nothing to hide, so we will keep everyone updated as things progress.”

Flattr this!

1

Rumor: Strikeforce MMA promotion shutting doors

Sources close to PersianMMA informed us just moments ago that Strikeforce operations are set to cease and that the promotion is going out of business.

The rumor comes shortly after news broke that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 9-0 SF) was forced to pull out of his title fight with Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 4-0 SF) due to a wrist injury.

The middleweight title fight was the second key loss to a scheduled November 3rd card, following the loss of a heavyweight main event bout between Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier.

Stay tuned for further updates

Flattr this!